Tuesday, June 11, 2013

-Recipe- Fresh Peach Cupcake, Honey Butter Cream Frosting with a Chocolate Drizzle

I wasn't sure if I was going to do a blog about this recipe or not, but lots of friends want to know how I did it, so here ya go!


Oh, did I mention this cupcake is baked inside of an ice cream cone? I have seen these recipes all over Pinterest. But I honestly, have seen more of the "fails" of this than the successes. Well, I am here to add to the success of this! Let's start with ingredients, shall we? (Oh, and this recipe is MOSTLY dairy free, the only dairy is from the chocolate!)


For the Cupcake:
  • 1 cup vanilla soy milk
  • 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
  • scant 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 peaches, peeled, pitted and finely pureed
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/4 cup all-purpose or pastry flour (Add more if you think your batter is too runny)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 10-12 ice cream cake cones
 For the Frosting:
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) non-dairy butter, room temp
  • 4 Tbsp honey (alternatively, use agave nectar)
  • 1.5 – 2 cups powdered sugar (I have a secret ingredient if, you, like me, run out of powdered sugar!)
  • 1 Tablespoon almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)

Okay, time to get baking!
First, I always start any baking by preheating the oven, in this case to 350. While that's going go ahead and add the soy milk and apple cider vinegar together, whisk until frothy and set aside to let it curdle. We will come back to it shortly. 

Next, cut up your peaches and add them to the food processor and make them gooey!



 In a medium sized mixing bowl add the following:
  • sugar
  • oil
  • vanilla
  • soy milk mixture
  • peach puree



Once that's all added, mix until smooth and creamy.
Next we will add to the sifter the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Sift into the bowl with the wet ingredients. Now, since we just put a bunch of air in to the batter we don't wan to lose that by using an electric mixer, instead get out your wooden spoon (or whisk) and mix that bad boy up until there are no more large lumps!




Now would be a good time to set the ice cream cones in to the muffin/cupcake pan. I'll wait until you are done to go on....

.....

...are we good? Awesome! Let's continue! Now it's time to fill those cones, until ALMOST full. Then CAREFULLY place them in the oven for about 30 minutes. Check doneness with a tooth pick.


While they are baking I like to make my frosting. To do that, make sure your non dairy butter has come to room temperature so it's softer and thus easier to work with. Add that and the honey to a mixing bowl and cream together. Next add the powedered sugar to the mix. Here is where I ran in to a small problem, I didn't have enough powdered sugar!! So I scowered teh interwebz in search for a substitution...lo and behold I came across a baking forum that says you can use corn starch to help thicken up your frosting...and it says it won't add any flavor to it and will lessen the sugary sweetness. Of course I tried it and was scared to do so, but it does work! Make sure to add your non dairy milk and as needed for consistency and there ya go!



So by this time you should have your cupcakes out and cooled or cooling. It is imparitive you let them completely cool or your frosting melts. Are they cool? Great! Frost those babies up! I used a piping bag but feel free to use whatever you want. Set them aside because now we are going to melt chocolate!!


 

It is best to use a double boiler if you have one, if not you can fake it by bringing a pan of water to a simmer and setting a smaller pan on top. Add your chocolate chips and a little canola oil to make it creamier. Stir and stir and stir, you do not want to burn your chocolate!! Once that is done, there are many ways you can drizzle chocolate. I chose a nifty little bottle that resembles an old time ketchup bottle from a burger joint. I think I enjoyed drizzling a little too much because I then got out a baking sheet and lined it with wax paper and drizzled little chocolate designs on to it. Then I put it in the fridge for about 2 hours (the freezer is preferred but ours was too full!!). After they harden, carefully peel them off and stick them on top of your cupcakes. Now this part is IMPORTANT! Put the cupcakes in the fridge or your neat little chocolate pieces will melt...I speak from expirience. Oops. Oh well, still tasty. 




And that's it! Your kids will love this and you will love how healthy they are!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment